Grants for Students with Disabilities

Canadian students with disabilities may be eligible for grant funding through the provincial government of their home province.

It is highly recommended that students registering or registered with the Accessible Learning Services apply for these grants, as they may be eligible for up to $2000 per academic year. Additional grants are available that can provide funding for services (such as tutoring and note taking) and equipment (such as computers, printers, smart pens, software, and other assistive technologies). 

Students with disabilities are eligible for the following grants:

Canada Study Grant for Students with Disabilities 

Students with disabilities are eligible for a $2,000 grant per year.

Canada Study Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Disabilities

Students may also be eligible for a grant of up to $8,000 for services and equipment (such as funding for tutors, note takers, laptops and assistive technologies). Students should apply for this grant through Accessible Learning Services.

In order to be eligible for such grants, students must first apply for a student loan through their home province (links are below). Even if you think you will be denied a student loan, it is important to apply (as funding opportunities may open up once a student loan is denied).

The student will then be required to submit supplemental forms (links are below) to their perspective provincial government (in consultation with the Accessible Learning and their healthcare professional).

Disability Tax Credit

Although unrelated to the student grants above, students may also be interested in the disability tax credit (DTC), which is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. For more information, go to

Being eligible for the DTC can also open the door to other government programs such as the registered disability savings plan, the working income tax benefit disability supplement, and the child disability benefit.